Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Morning scramble

I am slowly getting into the swing of this vegan thing. One thing I've noticed is that in general I don't like vegan foods that pretend to be non-vegan foods. For instance, vegan cheese just doesn't do it for me. I'd rather go without it at all. There are a couple of exceptions - meat-free bacon, for one - but I am finding I generally prefer the food to just be itself and not pretend.

That said, one of my new favorite breakfasts is a tofu scramble. I don't flavor the tofu to make it taste like eggs, I just let it be itself. I prefer firm tofu cut into cubes instead of silken scrambled up. I like the texture better. I then add in just about anything I feel like to make kind of an omelet, scramble kind of dish. Sometimes I add cubed potato, sometimes onions or fresh tomato. I've thrown in squash and carrots. I just throw in whatever I have on hand.

This morning's scramble turned out particularly tasty. I've been anemic lately and really wanted an iron and protein boost. This is what I put together - and I wanted to write it down so I wouldn't forget.

3 slices SmartBacon meatless bacon, cut into pieces
3 medium crimini mushrooms, sliced
4 ounces firm tofu, cut into small cubes (1/4 of a 16-ounce package)
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
olive oil
sea salt, optional
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the SmartBacon, mushrooms and tofu and saute a couple of minutes until the mushrooms start to release their moisture and the bacon and tofu start to brown. Add the spinach and basil and continue to saute until the spinach cooks down. Add a little sea salt if desired. Serve hot. Make one serving.

No comments: