Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Eat Fresh - Carrots

Published January 17, 2007 in The Spectrum & Daily News

By Kathryn van Roosendaal

Carrots were one of my favorite veggies growing up. It wasn’t the taste I liked so much – it was the shape.

We didn’t have those boring, straight supermarket carrots. We grew our own, and the hard, rocky soil would force the roots into unimaginable shapes. I would grab hold of a carrot top and give it a firm yank – sometimes I had to put my full weight behind it – and my older sister would do the same. I would twist, rock and pull until finally the earth let go and the carrot would spring from the dirt, usually planting me on my butt. My sister and I would then get a good laugh out of whatever shape the root was in. Some looked like running men, some were corkscrews and I once had one with five different branches coming off the main root, making it look like a hand.

Those homegrown carrots were delicious, although the strange shapes made them hard to clean and peel. My mom would put them in stews and soups, she would cook them with butter or brown sugar, or we would just eat them raw with a little ranch dressing.

I miss those special carrots today. The ones in the store never seem to taste quite so sweet and the long, straight roots are a bit boring to look at. Some day I’ll find a nice rocky spot of earth for a garden and I’ll grow the best tasting – and funniest looking – carrots in Southern Utah.

The best carrots are smooth and firm with a bright color. They should also smell “carrot-y,” not musty. If the greens are attached, they should be bright green and fresh, not wilted. If you plan to store them for a while, get carrots with rounded tips; the pointier the end, the faster it softens and rots. Also remember that the smaller the carrot, the sweeter it is – although this only applies to full carrots. Those so-called baby carrots you find packaged in the store are regular carrots cut into small shapes.

Carrots will keep about a month in the fridge in an airtight bag. Leave the greens on unless they start to rot – they will help keep the root fresher longer. For longer storage you can keep them in a root-cellar environment or cook and then freeze them.

I have learned over the years that the outer skin of the carrot is the richest in sugars and vitamins, so I don’t peel them any more. Just scrub them off with a vegetable brush and slice or chop as needed.

Carrot Raisin Salad

This classic side dish has always been a favorite in my family. It is extremely easy to make.

3 cups grated carrots

1 cup seedless raisins

1 tablespoon honey

6 tablespoons mayonnaise

Mix together honey and mayonnaise and stir until well blended. Add carrots and raisins and mix until evenly coated. Chill. Serves 6.

Carrottes à la crème

This is a French recipe for carrots in cream. Ooh la la!

1 bunch of carrots, peeled and cut into small dice

4 tablespoons butter

4 tablespoons flour

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 cup cream

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1 tablespoon minced parsley or chopped chives

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the carrots and stir to coat well. Stir in the salt, pepper, flour and sugar. Add enough water to just cover the carrots and cook until tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove pan from heat and pour in the cream. Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle with parsley or chives. Serves 6.

No comments: