Monday, September 29, 2008

What's Cookin' - Easter Leftovers

Published March 26, 2008 in The Spectrum & Daily News

By Kathryn van Roosendaal

Every holiday brings with it one big question: What do I do with the leftovers?

This didn’t used to be a problem for me. I grew up in a family of seven and between us we were able to quite handily finish off that turkey, ham or whatever. If there were a few tidbits left, a sandwich or two, a pan of ham and potato casserole or a batch of corned beef hash took care of it.

With the family now scattered, it is no longer a guarantee that there will be a lot of people over for dinner – and I just can’t seem to cook for just a handful. My brother, James, and his wife and kids came down from Salt Lake for St. Patrick’s Day so we had plenty of people to devour the corned beef and cabbage. But they had to go home before Easter, and I found myself cooking for myself, my youngest sister, Kristin, and my parents.

A 5-pound leg of lamb and all the accoutrements for only four people. Needless to say, I have a pile of leftovers.

The first thing I think of when I hear lamb is shepherd’s pie, so I chopped up the meat and threw it in the crock pot with the leftover root vegetables (a mix of potatoes, carrots, turnips, parsnips and onions). Pour some beef broth over the top and let it simmer for a few hours and voila! – lamb stew! Top it with mashed potatoes and it is instant shepherd’s pie.

But there are still only four people to eat it … so what do I do with leftover shepherd’s pie?

Well, I could whip up some pastry – or better yet, buy some already-made pie crust – and make lamb pot pie. Or I could stick it back in the crock pot, add some more stuff and make a different lamb stew. Or I could simmer it down until the broth is gone and use that has with eggs for breakfast. Or I could freeze it and sneak a bunch into my parents’ freezer when they aren’t looking. Or I could …

Hmmmm. Does anyone want some shepherd’s pie? I have plenty.

Shepherd’s Pie

Traditional shepherd’s pie uses lamb or mutton, but you can make it using any kind of stew, even canned beef stew.

Leftover leg of lamb or lamb chops, cut into cubes

3 small parsnips, sliced

2 medium carrots, sliced

1 turnip, cubed

1 medium onion, coarsely chopped

4 cups beef or chicken broth

1 tablespoon dried leaf sage OR 1 teaspoon ground sage

salt and pepper to taste

3 to 4 cups mashed potatoes

Add the lamb and vegetables to a soup pot or crock pot. Pour the broth over the top so that everything is just covered. Add the sage and stir. Simmer for 2 to 4 hours or until the vegetables are soft and the meat is tender. The broth should be almost gone. If it is too thin and soupy, stir in some mashed potatoes to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. Fill a deep casserole dish 2/3 to 3/4 full with the stew. Spoon the mashed potatoes over the top and spread evenly to form a “crust.” Stick under the broiler until the top is browned and the filling is bubbly. Serve hot with biscuits or rolls. Serves 8.

NOTE: If the stew is not hot when it is put in the casserole dish, bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until the filling is bubbly, then turn on the broiler to brown the top if needed.

No comments: